Gallop 2023 UPDATE

To 2023 Gallopers,

Given that the current forecast is for it to stop snowing around midday tomorrow with a chance of it returning Saturday late afternoon there is excitingly a weather window for the event, so we are planning to go ahead.  It is not forecast to be windy but it will be bitterly cold with obviously unusually snowy conditions underfoot.  It’s going to be a fun adventure, although we’d be very surprised to see any course records!

There still remains the outside chance that we may have to cancel should the forecast be wrong and it looks likely that the roads become impassable into Saturday.  We will avoid this if at all possible, and if it does become necessary will communicate this by email, Facebook and the website.

As we write this trains are running between Manchester and Sheffield and cars are getting to Grindleford from Bakewell and Sheffield, albeit cautiously.

Here are some points we wish you to consider:

  1.  KIT – bring plenty of layers, spare gloves and full waterproofs.  We will be checking this at registration so please come to register wearing your FULL kit (you’ll want to be wearing it anyway!).
  2. We have a couple of small marquees at registration but not enough shelter for everyone so bring a warm coat which you can leave in the kit store.
  3. Parking – some of the residential roads in Grindleford we usually use will not have been gritted therefore please try to park along the main road.  Consider lift sharing or the train to Grindleford.
  4. The snow is going to slow you down therefore if you wish to change from a runner to a walker and set off earlier (7-9am) let us know at registration.  You can still run even if entered as a walker but will have less time pressure.  The only downside is the walkers are not eligible for the race prizes.
  5. Bring more food and water than you would normally.  We may not be able to have the food and drinks station at White Rake as it is accessed by a minor road but Hassop and Baslow food stations will be open.  We are also not sure our banana delivery will arrive!
  6. Before committing to each section of the race please consider whether you can happily continue, you are best placed to know your own limits and capabilities.  We will endeavour to help withdrawals due to minor injury etc get back to Grindleford but we don’t have mass transport available.
  7. There is the option of warming up after finishing at the 2 pubs in the village – The Sir William and The Maynard.
  8. The 10am mass start may be icy and slippery so please take extra care.

We know a lot of people are excited about running in a winter wonderland and we have plenty of hot soup for you at the end.

We hope to see you Saturday, Gallop committee.